The Musical Theatre minor supports a student's training and career aspirations in the performance and study of musical theatre.
Coursework for the Musical Theatre Minor
The minor in Musical Theatre requires 18 credit hours, with 9 credits emphasizing foundational performance skills and 9 credits in electives.
Arts and Sciences Program Guidelines
- A minor is not required for graduation.
- Credit hours required: A minimum of 18 credits. All courses must be at the 2000 level or above.
- Transfer credit hours allowed: A student is permitted to count up to 6 total hours of transfer credit and/or credit by examination.
- Overlap with the GE: Permitted, up to 6 credit hours between the GE and the minor.
- Overlap with the major: Permitted, as long as 12 credit hours in the minor are distinct from the major.
- Overlap between minors: Permitted as long as each minor completed contains 12 unique credit hours.
- No more than 3 X193 credits.
- Minimum C- for a course to be counted on the minor.
- Minimum 2.00 cumulative point-hour ratio required for the minor.
- Course work graded Pass/Non-Pass cannot count on the minor.
- No more than 3 credit hours of work graded Sat/Unsat may count towards the minor.
How to Declare a Musical Theatre Minor
To get started on the Musical Theatre minor, students should consult with the Academic Program Coordinator in the Department of Theatre to find out about predicted course offerings and to fill out a Musical Theatre Minor Program Form [pdf]. After the Department of Theatre has approved a student’s Musical Theatre Minor Program Form, the student must file the form with their college or school advisor. Contact Ryan Heitkamp to discuss the Musical Theatre minor.
Filing the Musical Theatre Minor Program Form
The Musical Theatre Minor Program Form [pdf] must be filed at least by the time the graduation application is submitted to a college/school counselor.
Changing a Minor
Once the minor program is filed in the college office, any changes must be approved by the Department of Theatre.
[pdf] - Some links on this page are to Adobe .pdf files requiring the use of Adobe Reader. If you need these files in a more accessible format, please contact email@example.com.