Please read this entire page of instructions before completing an application.
All MA, PhD Applicants and all MFA applicants who wish to be considered for a University Fellowship Nomination:
Your application file can be evaluated for admission once the appropriate Ohio State offices have received the items listed below. Online applications must be completed for two different university offices: the Graduate Admissions Office and the Department of Theatre.
MFA Acting Applicants:
We recruit 9 actors every 3 years at all three U/RTA auditions and on-campus. The next class we will recruit will be for autumn 2021.
MFA Design Applicants:
We accept 3-5 design students into our program each year. Although we recruit annually at U/RTA, we meet many potential students independently and we encourage you to contact our faculty directly to learn more about the program or schedule a campus visit. To apply, you can upload your information and materials at http://osutheatre.slideroom.com. If the faculty recommend you for admission, we will invite you complete the Ohio State Graduate School application at http://gpadmissions.osu.edu/apply/grad.html.
The application process for Graduate Studies in Theatre at Ohio State has two requirements:
- The Graduate School Admissions Requirements.
- Review of Supplemental Materials by the Department of Theatre.
Please Note: All components and requirements for the application must be completed and received before a review of any materials sent with your application can take place.
MA & PhD Applicants
- December 1 for international applicants who wish to be considered for funding (fellowships or assistantships)
- January 6 for U.S. applicants who wish to be considered for funding (fellowships or assistantships)
- January 31 for U.S. and international students who do not wish to be considered for funding
- December 1 for international applicants who wish to be considered for funding fellowships
- January 6 for U.S. applicants who wish to be considered for funding fellowships
- March 15 for U.S. and international applicants who wish to be considered for assistantships
- April 6 for U.S. and international students who do not wish to be considered for funding
FAFSA Application due for financial aid (optional, but strongly recommended): March 1
Graduate School Admissions Office Materials
The Ohio State University requires all graduate applicants to apply online. No paper or downloadable applications are available. Please do not upload your statement, portfolio, resume and letters of recommendation to the Graduate School application. These items must be uploaded to the Department of Theatre’s online portal.
Have the following items sent directly to the Graduate Admissions Office:
- One official copy of transcripts or record of marks for each university-level school attended. Include English translation of any foreign documents.*
- All MA and PhD applicants must submit official scores for the GRE. Any MFA applicant whose combined GPA falls below a 3.0 must also submit GRE scores.
- Official TOEFL, IELTS or MELAB scores for international applicants or U.S. applicants whose native language is not English.
* Ohio State Graduate Admissions requires official transcripts to be sent to their office, only if you are admitted.
On the application, please use the “Add Attachment” button to send copies (front and back) of official transcripts from ALL institutions attended where college credit was earned – even if you attended while in high school.
International Credentials should include certified educational records and degree certificates or diplomas in the original language with English translations.
Send only scanned images of paper official transcripts issued by your institution’s Registrar or order electronic transcripts to be sent to email@example.com. Make sure to mark out all U.S. social security numbers before scanning.
Ohio State will not accept:
transfer credit on another school’s transcript
If you are admitted to the university as a graduate student, you will be required to submit final official transcripts. Do not send the Graduate and Professional Admissions Office paper official transcripts, unless specifically requested by our office.
Department of Theatre (Program) Materials
MA and PhD applicants: Once you have completed the Graduate School Admissions Requirements you may complete complete the Department of Theatre application at http://osutheatre.slideroom.com to upload your Supplemental Materials.
Electronic Portfolio and Supplemental Materials
- A statement concerning your scholarly and/ or artistic interests, your reasons for wanting to undertake graduate study, and your future professional goals (1-2 pages).
- A current CV or resume.
- Three letters of recommendation from professionals who are acquainted with your recent academic and artistic work.
- A copy of an official transcript (or record of marks) from each institution you attended where you earned college credit. Include English translations of any foreign-language documents.
- MA and PhD applicants only: Submit a critical writing sample (published or unpublished) that demonstrates your abilities with respect to research, analysis and expository writing.
- MFA Design applicants only: Submit an electronic design portfolio that demonstrates a formative and coherent body of work. Submit 15-20 images of design drawings and realized production photos. Images can be labeled and ordered after they are uploaded into our Electronic Portfolio system. Arrange images in chronological order starting with your most recent work. Each work sample must be labeled with the following information: title of production, producing organization, date of production and your role on the production.
- MFA Acting applicants only: You are required to be seen at an audition. We participate in the U/RTA auditions: http://www.urta.com/. We also hold on-site auditions for those who cannot attend U/RTAs. Do not submit materials to the Graduate School or to the Department of Theatre until after you have auditioned for the program.
Please Note: Statement, Portfolio, Resume and Letters of Recommendation materials must be submitted through our online portal. Within the online application you will be asked to supply the names of your recommenders as well as their email addresses. Once you submit your application your recommenders will receive an email with a link for them to upload their letter. Please note that your recommenders will not receive an email until after you have submitted your completed application online. After you submit your application, please notify your recommenders that they will receive an email from SlideRoom.com.
If you have questions or need additional information please contact the External Relations Coordinator.